The typical Database Administrator (DBA) spends most of their time in SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS), running queries and checking setting. It can make your life a little easier if you are able to launch tools without having to leave or minimize SSMS. You can launch any application from SSMS by adding it to the Tools menu.
Add a program to the Tools menu in SSMS
- On the Tools menu, click “External Tools…”
- Type the name, as you want it to appear on your menu, in the Title text box
- Type the path and executable name in the Command text box, or use the ellipsis to navigate to the program
- Add any required arguments in the Arguments text box
- Type the programs path in the Initial directory text box
- Click OK to exit the dialog
The new listing will now appear in the Tools menu.
To remove any tools, just reopen the dialog and highlight the item you wish to remove before you click the “Delete” button.