Microsoft has confirmed that the Windows 10 Anniversary Update will be available on August 2, 2016. This will be a free update for all current Windows 10 users, and Microsoft’s Corporate Vice President for Windows and Devices Group Yusuf Mehdi also said that there are now over 350 million devices now running Windows 10. The update covers these 6 major areas:
- Security – Additional security features with Windows Hello for apps and websites, an improved Windows Defender, and the addition of Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection and Windows Information Protection for enterprises.
- Windows Ink – A dedicated user experience for Windows 10 devices with touch screens and styluses.
- Cortana – Cortana will now be available on the lock-screen. Cortana is also getting many new features to make it a more powerful tool.
- Microsoft Edge – A faster and more accessible Microsoft Edge browser which will also support extensions and uses less power.
- Xbox One – A unified Windows Store that will include Xbox One games. The Xbox Play Anywhere program will also allow gamers to purchase a game on the Xbox One and play the game on their Windows 10 PC. This also includes shared progress and achievements across the two platforms.
- Schools – New tools for the modern classroom including faster and easier deployment as well as new features for educators.