A few of the responsibilities of a SQL Server Database Administrator is monitoring performance managing database backups. Luckily Ola Hallengren has created a SQL Server Maintenance Solution, which is a great script for monitoring performance and backup jobs.
Installing SQL Server Maintenance Solution from Ola Hallengren:
1. Visit Ola’s web site and read about his solution.
2. Download the MaintenanceSolution.sql file from Ola’s web site. Make sure you save the file to a location you can find later.
3. Using SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) you can connect to the target instance of SQL Server and then open the MaintenanceSolution.sql file that you just downloaded from Ola’s web site. His script will support all versions of SQL Server from SQL Server 2005 to SQL Server 2016.
5. Execute the script to update the instance you are currently connected to, and watch for any errors.
6. The script will run for less than a minute before you’ll see the message “Command(s) completed successfully.”
7. Look in the Master database Under the Master database and verify there is a new table called dbo.CommandLog.
8. Look at your jobs and you should see some new jobs around backups and Index Optimization. These jobs won’t run until you run them manually or schedule them to run automatically.
You can read more about this great scripted solution here.